Tuesday, February 10, 2009

LONDON!!



We just got back Sunday from 4 days in London, such an amazing trip!!! Another American international student here, Grace, and I went alone...just booked a coach ride and a hostel (Globetrotters Inn- very nice and clean!) and had quite the adventure. I got to see everything I wanted and more: Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, the London Eye, Saint Paul's Cathedral, Buckingham Palace, National Gallery, the Tate Modern Museum, Natural History Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum, Hyde Park, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, Harrods, Thames, Tower of London, London Bridge, St. James Park and Palace (where the Princes live!), Kensington Gardens and Palace, Notting Hill, the Portobello Market, Covent Garden and Jubilee Markets, Platform 9 and 3/4 at Kings Cross Station ; ), Churchill's Cabinet War Rooms (almost), and I think more that I just can't remember right now. Despite ALL of the walking and completely exhausting days, it was all so beautiful and historic and surreal. Just perfectly lovely : )

The best part was just walking without aim or purpose and coming across some of the most unique things. The first day we wandered into a courtyard between buildings and saw some students from the Westminster school which was just next to us. Found Benjamin Franklin and Rudyard Kipling's houses, as well as came so close (within 2 minutes) of seeing Prince William because he had just left through the gates of his house (St. James Palace) just before we got there. Probably as close to royalty as I will ever get! Also, we wanted to see the Changing of the Guards at Buckingham Palace and thought we had just barely missed it, but that day (Saturday the 7th) just happened to be the 41 Gun Ceremony with firing canons and tons of uniformed horsemen all celebrating the coronation of the Queen 57 years ago! I love experiencing things we don't even plan or, in this case, had no clue existed!

The trip ended perfectly with lunch sitting on a fountain in Trafalgar Square in the warm sun (rare!). Over all, definitely a successful long weekend and I feel so lucky to have experienced London -- and proud to have done it on my own! I only wish I could have shared it as well with my family and friends from home.
Going to see the Pottery Museums with my British culture class this weekend, and currently making plans for a Stoke City football (soccer) game and hopefully Ireland for St. Patrick's Day!!
Still loving and missing everyone and home, quite terribly actually. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment