Sunday, February 22, 2009

Beautiful and Brilliant!


It's been a couple weeks since my last post, but I've been pretty busy with class (not so much), day trips, birthdays, and more union nights. I met more English students and have continued having a blast with the other internationals like myself. It's been so interesting just learning the differences in how we all view life and taking chances. They are so surprised that I've never been to New York, the Midwest or even the west coast of the US, even though I have a car and could just get up and go. Being here is making me realize how unadventurous and safe I have been and just the few places I've seen make me want to see and experience so much more. But on the opposite side, being away from my family and friends only makes me love and miss them so much more. Certainly no place like home : )
Let's see, recent adventures and news:

-I threw one of my close friends here, Grace, a birthday party at my house with a few of the people we've met so far. Cake, ice cream, candles haha... all she was missing were her friends and family from home. A few English friends had birthdays as well that we all got to celebrate.
-Day trip to Chester, one of England's oldest cities with the most standing city walls built by the Romans. A few girls and I got to walk around on top of them and the perspective and views were incredible. I met a Gladiator reenactor who shared so much about the history of the Romans (we couldn't get away!). The buildings and city were so adorable with black and white Victorian houses and shops. Had lunch at a nice pub on the river, the epitome of quaint.
-"Where's Wolly?" (aka, Where's Waldo?) themed social night out for our Ultimate Frisbee team. We all dressed up in red/white striped shirts and danced all night at the student union. That whole group is so much fun and just carefree. It doesn't even matter that I'm not great at frisbee, we always have a good time at practice.
***-and my favorite!!: OXFORD! Charlie, Grace and I just took a road trip yesterday to the city and were blessed with the absolute most beautiful day. Clearest sky and warmest sun since I've been in England, and Oxford itself is just breathtaking. We ended up taking one of the cheesy guided walking tours, which worked out well because we learned lots about the University and got to see inside 3 of the 38 colleges (so many of them!) While wandering around on our own, we came across Oxford University's own a capella group, Out of the Blue, singing in the streets. It was brilliant and they were such great singers. Also saw inside New College where parts of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was filmed (I definitely recognized it, got to love HP), and we couldn't help but act like witches and wizards haha. I couldn't imagine getting to live and study there, such famous scholars being in those same buildings and truly beautiful surroundings, I felt really lucky to have had such a great visit.

- new things I tried: Cornish Pastie (English traditional food) and Indian food (Chicken Tikka Masala and Korma?) ha was interesting but not my fav.

Words that I sound funny pronouncing to them: Jaguar, Birmingham, meercat, mirror, so much more... will add later

English vocab: rubbish bin (trash can), love or duck (what people call us), ta (thanks), you alright? (hey, how are you?/ what's up?), jumper (shirt), cheers (bye, or thanks), quid (same as pounds, like our bucks), ayup! (a range of meanings, it's a Yorkshire thing haha), brilliant (really cool), and more too.

Now in the planning stages for our month-long travels on the main land of Europe: we're thinking Amsterdam, Austria, Italy, France, Spain, Greece, and more.... but we'll see what we can fit in and afford.
Love you all! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment