Monday, March 30, 2009

Everyone's Irish on March 17th


A couple weeks ago, I got to spend 5 days in the beautiful country of Ireland, starting on St. Patrick's Day! My group of 6 students from Keele flew only 50 minutes Ryan Air to Cork and arrived just after the parade (which we heard wasn't so great, so didn't miss much there) and were greeted with crowds of people from all over, many dressed in lots of green. Even saw a few leprechauns, too bad I did get their lucky charms... I miss those. ha, well the Irish pubs were fun, they served green beer that night and we got to see traditional Irish dancing. I went to Blarney Castle which was beautiful, especially the gardens, and got to kiss the Blarney stone at the top of the castle-- some sort of Irish tradition for good luck in love. I even got a Claddagh ring, my favorite souvenir!



Then we went to Dublin and explored lots. I was sick for this part but kept going of course, time to get better later at home. We had such a fun and diverse group and the whole trip would not have been the same without them! Our hostel got us a free walking tour of the city so we learned lots about Irish history, then we just had to go to the Guinness Brewery, and yes I drank the complimentary pint- not too bad (better in Ireland of course!) Only wish I could have seen more countryside of Ireland, but I definitely loved our trip regardless.I had SOOO much work to do right before I left and lots just last night too. Essays I left for last minute because of all the trips and excitement going on here at Keele. But I'd rather stress hard for one or two days over essays, and spend my quality time enjoying being abroad. Like a friend of mine said, 90% vacation, 10% study haha.

I spent this past weekend in Portsmouth, on the southern coast of England, with my friend Bennett -who was an excellent tourguide : ) -and his family. Saw Southsea, Spinnaker Tower, the Solent waters, Gunwharf Quays, Portchester Castle, went ice skating, driving through the lovely countryside, and had a proper homecooked English Sunday Roast, compliments of his mum. It was certainly a fun, relaxing weekend just before the crazy European adventures awaiting me in 2 days! Grace, Kate and I depart April 1 Wednesday afternoon for 33 days, traveling with our Eurail Passes to Spain, France, Austria, Italy, and Greece. Words cannot describe how anxious I am, I know this will be the trip of a lifetime!


And what is even better, one day after I get back to England, one of my best friends from home, Alex, is flying here to spend a week with me at Keele!Wish me luck, I won't be able to have much internet access over the next month so feel free to leave me email or facebook messages and I'll check them when I can! (and let me know if there's a "must-see" for me to remember) I love and miss you all, bon voyage! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment